There’s no denying it – weight loss can be a long and challenging journey. Food is everywhere. You try to avoid eating this or to do that particular exercise program, but it doesn’t work. It gets frustrating trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t. In fact, it is not unusual for people to struggle with weight loss. It’s easy to diet, overeat, feel guilty, and start all over again. Worse yet, it can be really hard to break the cycle.
That’s where hypnosis comes in.
While diets and various exercise plans focus on what to eat or how to exercise, hypnosis helps you change the way you think and feel about what you eat. For example, on a diet, you may eat a vegetable and wish you were eating a cake instead. With hypnosis, you can learn to enjoy the vegetable while not giving the cake a second thought.
The goal is to gain control over your cravings and actions in a way that does not cause you distress. Instead of focusing on what you are eating, you learn to focus on your feelings and associations to food. We do this by targeting the unconscious mind with suggestions to change our negative or unhealthy thought patterns.
In hypnosis we realize that you have everything you need to succeed already waiting within you. While you may need to change your lifestyle, you do not need the latest trending diet or exercise machine to do that. All you need to do is let go of the negative statements or thought patterns that are holding you back.
The Body and the Mind
We all know it is important to keep our bodies healthy. Did you know that the mind is a big part of that? It is so easy to become depressed or down when a diet or exercise plan doesn’t work out the way we planned. As a society, we try diet pills, fad weight loss diets, and grueling exercise programs in an attempt to try to get down to our desired weight. The result is often unsustainable and leaves us wondering what we did wrong.
The problem is that these “weight loss” ideas don’t work long term. You have to change the habits that keep bringing you back to the cycle of negative behaviors. It is not easy. All of those sugary, starchyn and unhealthy foods taste good, making it hard to stay motivated to exercise. However, it can be done. We just need to recondition the mind to have healthier associations.
Why Is It So Hard?
We all struggle with weight loss for different reasons:
- Many people see food as comfort, which causes us to later eat when we experience stress or when we are upset.
- You may eat more than you realize as you go through your day.
- When on a diet you may avoid certain foods entirely, which can cause more cravings for that food.
- Finally, you may just not exercise enough and exercise is just as much a part of the equation as the food.
Hypnosis and Weight Loss
- You and the hypnotist are going to have a chat. You will decide your goals and the hypnotist will decide the best way to help you reach those goals.
- Your hypnotist is going to be like your coach. They will guide you into a relaxed mental and physical state.
- Once there, your hypnotist will be able to work with your unconscious mind or the part of your mind that you are not entirely aware of.
- From that point, you are going to learn to recognize unhealthy thought patterns and help your mind create new rules for yourself that are more positive. You will work to end destructive thoughts such as “I’m not good enough” and “I’m not attractive.” You are also going to learn to talk yourself in a more positive way. Instead of thinking about what you don’t want, you’ll think about what you do want.
- Part of your experience may include visualizations of your goal.
- a. You may learn to visualize the body you want or the level of fitness you are aiming for.
- b. You may imagine what that will feel like or imagine yourself reaching that goal effortlessly.
- These visualizations are more tools that you may learn to use to help reinforce the positive behaviors you will work to create with your hypnotist. Everyone is going to have different experiences based on their needs.
- As you work with your new coping skills and change your habits by continuing to work with your hypnotist, you will begin to see results.
All of these steps help empower you to meet your goals. They are designed to help you take control of your choices. You will learn to enjoy food again without all of the unhealthy cravings. And finally, hopefully, all the things you learn about yourself and all the behaviors that you work to change, will help you learn to enjoy your body instead of seeing it as a source of frustration in your life.
Many of the people who engage in hypnosis today are professional, successful and educated people all struggling to learn the same thing: We can only control that which is inside of ourselves. Hypnosis is just a savvy way for people to take back control of their total health.