Virtual Hypnosis Sessions are now available as a brand new service!
Here at Hoosier Hypnosis, we aim to roll with the times and practices of an ever-changing world. We know that many of you are at risk due to health conditions and COVID. While we prefer to see you in person if possible, we understand and appreciate the concerns of our clients. We hope that this new service will allow more people to obtain the help they need without any additional anxiety or concern.
The great news is that Hypnosis is possible anywhere. By yourself, with a trusted friend, at home, or even from far away. With the marvels of modern technology, anyone trained in hypnosis can perform hypnosis from anywhere. In-person or online. For some, the prospect of doing hypnosis from home may even be a comfort, allowing for deeper relaxation and focus.
With that said, we would be remiss to offer this option without also sharing the Pros and Cons of such a session in comparison to an in-office visit. Given that we strive towards the most ethical practice at Hoosier Hypnosis, we want to make sure that a Skype session is appropriate for you and your situation. So before you pick up that phone, please finish reading this page and make sure that your situation and setting is appropriate for an online session.
Is A Virtual Hypnosis Session Right For You?
What you Need
While possible, you do need to make sure that you have a few things to ensure that your hypnotic digital experience is effective:
- The first is a good set of headphones or earbuds with good sound quality. Laptop or computer speakers are rarely as good as the sound you get from your favorite set of headphones or earbuds. They also serve the purpose of helping you to block out other noises in your house. This helps you concentrate on the directions you are given during a hypnosis session.
- The second is a computer. Smartphones are not good for this as the hypnotist needs to be able to see your face and gauge your reactions during the session.
- The third is a quiet space where you will be undisturbed. I find a room that can be locked works best. However, I understand that not everyone has that option. So the next best thing is to make sure the others in your house know that you are not to be disturbed. You may even find it useful to tape a note to your door reminding others of this on the day of your session.
- A comfortable place to sit, preferably an upright chair. Feel free to put your feet up on a footstool as well. Anything, within reason, to make yourself comfortable.
What is the same?
Ultimately aside from location, an online session is fundamentally the same as an in-person session. You will still fill out the paperwork (either ahead of time or online). You can still change anything that you are personally and sincerely ready to change within your life. And the techniques and interventions used will be the same as if you came to see us in the office.
Ultimately, the pros of an online session boil down to the following:
- Accessibility- Ability to help people who would not otherwise be able to come in.
- The ability of the client to get help in an environment they may be more comfortable with.
- Flexible- Ability to work around schedules as the client does not have the time cost of travel.
- No financial travel expenses or potential parking fees.
What is different?
For better or worse we live in a global community now. This means that we have plenty of options for all our services. Skype is just another program that makes it possible. And while I advocate that some hypnosis is better than none, I cannot say that Skype sessions or audio files are even equal to an in-person session. The limitation of these other technologies and applications is just enough for me to still say that an in-person session is far superior to the other two. Face to face therapy can never really be substituted.
Of course, just as there are pros there are also cons to an online session, which I would be ethically remiss to leave out:
- Some techniques are much harder to implement online. So depending on your needs it may make more sense for you to come in person or to use our concierge service.
- Poor video or audio can make it difficult for you to hear or for your hypnotist to catch some of the subtle cues they are looking for.
- It is much harder to ensure a lack of interruption (depending on others in your home).
- The most obvious potential problem is connection issues which vary depending on service availability and location.
Regardless of where we serve you, Hoosier Hypnosis is Happy to address any of your needs and aims to be accessible as we possibly can to all of our clients.
If you have further questions feel free to call us or check out All About Hypnosis, your go-to spot for all hypnotic news, information, and questions.