Welcome back to yet another edition of hypnosis news. Today I want to talk about the difference between self-hypnosis and having a hypnotist to help you. Of course, part of the equation is a personal preference. But there are limitations to self-hypnosis. Let’s learn what they are.
Is all hypnosis self-hypnosis?
Some hypnotists will tell you that all hypnosis is self-hypnosis. While this may be correct, that doesn’t mean that sometimes you don’t need a hypnotist. Even when you engage a hypnotist you are ultimately giving them permission to guide you into a state of focus and concentration. You are accepting suggestions from them towards a particular goal.
I can see why some might believe this to be true. Personally, I’m not sure and I don’t think it entirely matters if its all from you or somewhat facilitated from another. The aim and the success of the process are what I find of far greater importance.
Advantages of Self Hypnosis
- You can take as much time as you need for change.
- Working in familiar, controllable surroundings.
- You can plan your suggestions to what you know will likely work for you.
- There is no worrying about the schedules of others.
- You have complete control over all aspects of your process.
- You don’t have to explain your problem.
Disadvantages of Self Hypnosis
- Self-hypnosis takes a lot of discipline.
- It also takes the ability to focus and concentrate without getting distracted.
- You could be missing aspects of your symptoms or problems that an outside view might catch.
- Self-hypnosis is like trying to drive and be a passenger at the same time. It’s kind of like splitting your mind. I find self-hypnosis takes more effort than hypnotizing someone else.
- There is no one there to help if your suggestion goes wrong (unlikely but I have heard of it happening).
Advantages Of Working With A Hypnotist
- You have a guide to help you get to state.
- Someone to help keep you on track with your goal.
- If trained (and I hope you would find one who is) they may know interventions or strategies that you are not aware of.
- A hypnotist may be able to make you aware of resources within yourself that you were not aware of.
- A skilled hypnotist can help you without knowing all the details of your trance experience. (Ex. If I have you recall a memory to deal with past trauma, I don’t need to know the content of that memory to help with that process.)
The Third Option
There is a third option. An option that may be akin to a halfway point between the two. Audio Files. However, I would suggest you think carefully before using them. In the past, when I used audio files I made sure to listen to all the instructions before I let myself fall into trance to make sure they were in line with my goals. There are also additional concerns about wording and abreactions.
During a session with a hypnotist if something goes wrong (like a word triggers a negative reaction) there is someone there to deescalate the reaction. With an audio (or video) file you are on your own. I’m not saying that they are a bad option, just that you should be cautious. While many may be perfectly safe, others may have ulterior motives that are not in your best interest. Especially, if you know your are highly susceptible to hypnosis. However, if you find yourself still struggling after a few audio files, you may need an assist from an actual live hypnotist to get your desired results.
Choose Your Hypnotist Wisely
If you are going to work with a hypnotherapist, choose one that uses an approach you are happy wit. Just like any other intervention, there are different approaches to hypnosis. Check out each hypnotist general ethos and make sure that they are a good fit. Some hypnotist specializes in particular types of sessions such as weight loss or smoking. Many hypnotists may be trained in particular styles of hypnosis with their own interventions. Others may have additional training in counseling or other psychological interventions in addition to hypnosis.
Hypnosis is a great tool. Use it however you are comfortable doing so. And as always, if you have any questions feel free to tall Hoosier Hypnosis for a free consultation. Until next time, take care. We’ll see you next week with another edition.